Your business likely relies on emails – from internal communications to customer service. With such a high dependency, this makes email an effective tool for cybercriminals.
FRIGHTENING EMAIL SECURITY FACTS:
- 66% of Malware is delivered via an email attachment
- Small Businesses (SMBs) are Targets Too! 50% of small and medium businesses have experienced at least one cyber breach
- SMBs Pay a High Price for Breaches – $879,582 was the average value lost during a cyber breach
- …Attacks happen to everyone. 85% of organizations have been victims of a phishing attack.
- 91% of successful cyber attacks start with a phishing email….because they are effective.
- 30% of phishing emails get opened compared to a typical open rate of 21.7%
A Few Basic Ways to Safeguard Your Email:
- Do not open unfamiliar emails. If after opening an email, you think it is bad, immediately delete it. Do not click any links or respond with any personal information. (Yikes! Once you have opened a link from a phishing scam, your computer and information are immediately compromised. Call us right away!)
- Install anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall on your computer and keep them updated.
- Do not log into your accounts from an untrusted computer or public wifi. If you have to use public internet, try using a VPN service.
- Make your passwords strong and change them every 6 months. Don’t use the same password for everything. (Use an automated password manager/vault app to help manage your accounts.)
How Secure is Your Email Network? Let us host your email, encrypt it, and help you best secure your business’ valuable data. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our offices at 830-625-1700.
Security is one of the things we do best!
1 2017 Data Breach Investigations Report, Verizon. http://www.verizonenterprise.com/verizon-insights-lab/dbir/ (accessed August 2017)
2 The 2016 State of SMB Cybersecurity in Small and Medium-Sized Businesses, Keeper Security and Ponemon Institute. https://signup.keepersecurity.com/state-of-smb-cybersecurity-report/ (accessed August 2017)
3 The 2016 State of SMB Cybersecurity in Small and Medium-Sized Businesses, Keeper Security and Ponemon Institute. https://signup.keepersecurity.com/state-of-smb-cybersecurity-report/ (accessed August 2017)
4 New Report on the State of Phishing Attacks from Wombat Security Shows Significant Increases Year Over Year, Wombat Security. https://www.wombatsecurity.com/press-releases/new-report-state-of-phishing-attacks (accessed August 2017)
5 2016 Enterprise Phishing Susceptibility and Resiliency Report, PhishMe. https://phishme.com/2016-enterprise-phishing-susceptibility-report/ (accessed August 2017)
6 Verizon 2016 Data Breach Report: “Phishing Tops The List Of Increasing Concerns, KnowBe4. https://blog.knowbe4.com/verizon-2016-data-breach-report-phishing-tops-the-list-of-increasing-concerns (Accessed August 2017).
7 MailChimp Email Marketing Benchmarks, MailChimp. https://mailchimp.com/resources/research/email-marketing-benchmarks/ (Accessed August 2017).
8 New Report on the State of Phishing Attacks from Wombat Security Shows Significant Increases Year Over Year, Wombat Security. https://www.wombatsecurity.com/press-releases/new-report-state-of-phishing-attacks (accessed August 2017)
9 Cybercrime Tactics and Techniques Q1 2017, Malwarebytes. https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/labs/Cybercrime-Tactics-and-Techniques-Q1-2017.pdf (accessed August 2017)